Friday, March 6, 2009

I Will Follow You...



I think even Plato brought an amount of Socrates' influence when he proposed his philosophies. Well, he was his mentor anyway. Many rock bands today, no matter how assertive they are in convincing their fans that they are original, draw most of their inspiration from rock legends like Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stone, Queen and even The Beatles. Today, when we choose what music we like and shape our personality, do we have the universal right to call ourselves original? Do we get to murder those who call us copy cats?

I am not pissed, and certainly not judging those who constantly trying to prove themselves that they are different, original and like what ordinary people shun. Just makes me wonder whether they know the fact they are, in a way influenced by people. Just that their idols are not part of the pop culture but that doesn't mean their worship is original. Does it matter if we are crazy over what most people love? What benefits do we really get by liking different stuff? Aren't we supposed to like what we love or have passion on deep inside? What is different in today's society anyway? Aren't we continuously re-defining the norms and believes? Even Christianity today is pretty different that the 60's except for the teachings in the Bible.



What we like today will never be the same 20 years later. Who knows in 50 years time, High School Musical will be placed in the Classic section in bookstores along with Nancy Drew, Shakespeare and Jane Austen. Things change. Trends come and go. Skinny jeans were trendy decades ago just similar to the hype of it today. Mailboy caps are common in the 30's and it's back now. We are actually recycling trends and believes. Many business strategies and theories today are influenced by Sun Tzi's The Art of War and those practiced by the Jewish in the olden days. (Like it or not, studies show that they are smarter people than most races).

As for me, I just want to follow whatever that really captivates my heart. I am religious, so basically my believes and mindsets are deeply influenced by religion. But I also believe that religion is not a constraint for us to live in today's society. I think people should just like what they like and what they think it's right for them. No point trying so hard to be different, don't you think?



Maybe this is original, I dunno. But I works no matter how many people say they copy from the random flashers in US.


No comments: