Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I Want to Age Gracefully



I used to hear the elders and the middle-age in my church proclaiming that their inner youth triumphs over their physical age. 'I may be 52 but deep inside, I'm 2.5..i mean 25". Living in denial? Maybe, but that drove them to do marvelous things sometimes we young people think we are too tired for.



No! Not this...well, maybe but that's not my point. I sometimes get upset over young people whinning about being tired and 'too old' for certain things. They would casually say 'This is your time to shine. Our days are over. We are old, you are young. Go ahead' while they are only 30. Is this insane? You are barely balding! And your freaking hormones are still raging..I believe. And they will go on about how tiring is their job and how they have no enthusiasm over things after so much of work.

At 30, some young people are out there achieving great measures, creating social networking sites like Facebook and try to make Google a big player on the world wide web. In other churches, young people are constantly reinventing music for worships and activities for young people but for some people I know, all they want to do is just have a good-old 9 hours of sleep. I know work sucks all the energy out of you but isn't there room for some activities young people like to enjoy?



I dunno. Go paragliding, skydiving, jump like the indian men above (insert Aimee's yelling), go produce a short film on Starbucks or something. Do something outrageous in life for a change. We don't get to be 30 forever. You are only 19 and 29 once! You know, it is tough to get some of my friends to do radical things without hearing them whine. Sigh. Is youth an overrated term now? Is youth a fictional character in Disney cartoons? (Well, come to think of it, Cinderella doesn't age. She looks the same in Cinderella 1,2 and 3. What's wrong with these people?)

When I enter my 30s, I really hope I can still do crazy things without whining. Seriously. Ask me out to bungee jump and I'll say 'Let's Go!'.

3 comments:

angelin said...

it's true. you never see an ah pek version of aladdin or ah poh cinderella. disney is trying to tell us kids that we'll look young forever! on a magic carpet ride! a whole new world! don't you dare close your eyes!

forget all that you're only young once bullshit because like aimee said in her recent entry kan, it doesn't mean being young stops at high school. it goes on and on as long as you allow yourself to feel that way..

chelseaorange said...

AHAHAHAHAHA! when we're 30 we'll go bungee jumping. make sure you make lots of money cuz they cost a lot!

hiddenmcky said...

its true some people give in to age the moment they spot their first wrinkle... sad.

suddenly im reminded of this really old auntie i saw in tesco the other day wearing a red shirt that says "hot chick" in gold.

itulah dipanggil semangat! cheh.